AML

AML
Photo by Layna Hendrich of PhotographyLayn

Tuesday, April 29, 2014

Guest Blogger: Shelly Lowe

The Ms. Wheelchair USA organization has recently named several new state representatives, and a few of them have accepted my invitation to appear as a guest blogger. Shelly Lowe was crowned Ms. Wheelchair West Virginia, and I'm looking forward to meeting her at the national competition in July. I love hearing about girls that enjoy the outdoors- meet Shelly!



  • Tell us a little about yourself?

 My name is Jordan Michelle Lowe, but everyone calls me Shelly. I was born July 9, 1993. I am currently 20 years old. I am from a small town in West Virginia called Shinnston. I go to Fairmont State University where I major in Psychology with a minor in Criminal Justice. I am a true country girl. I like to go fishing, hunting, riding down back roads and mudding. I have 2 sisters and 2 brothers, and I am the oldest. I am very optimistic and try to help as many as I can. My favorite colors are lime green and orange. 

  • Tell us about your disability?

In April 2011, when I was a Senior in high school, my boyfriend (at the time) and I were coming home from a dirt track race. It was about 1:30 in the morning, and we were both really tired. I fell asleep and was awoken by his screams telling me to hold on. He had fallen asleep, and when he woke up, he cut the wheel too sharp causing the truck to roll. I broke my neck in two places, and as a result, I suffer from a SCI (Spinal Cord Injury). I was diagnosed as being a quadriplegic.

  • What is your platform/motto in life?

My motto in life is, “The only handicap one has is themselves.” I live by this every day and try to get others to live by it as well. I don’t like being told what I can and cannot do, especially if it’s because of my disability that they say I can’t do something. We can do anything as long as we set our minds to it.

  • What are your favorite activities?

My favorite activities would include inspiring/helping others, hunting, fishing, and riding four wheelers.

  • What is something we might not know about you?

I like to sing karaoke with my friends.

  • What are your future plans?

My plans for the future include going to WVU to get my masters in Psychology, and then working with adolescents and adults with mental disorders. After that I plan on opening up my own practice to counsel people like myself who have disabilities and need someone to talk to.

  • What is the biggest obstacle you have overcome?

The biggest obstacle I had to overcome would have to be this injury and coping with all the friends I have lost and realizing they were never my true friends to begin with. I am still faced with many obstacles because of that, but I wouldn’t change a thing. It has changed my life and has made me a truly better person. God dealt me this hand of cards for a reason, and I am playing them to the best of my ability!

  • What is the best advice you would give to someone with a recent injury/diagnosis?

I would tell them that their life isn’t over. It has only just begun. They can still continue to live a normal life and do ANYTHING they set their minds too. Don’t give up! 





3 comments:

  1. When one conceives the issue at hand, i have to agree with your endings. You intelligibly show cognition about this topic and i have much to learn after reading
    your post.Lot's of greetings and i will come back for any further updates.

    Logo design

    ReplyDelete